Site Meter

Sunday 8 August 2010

Summary and Thanks


It has taken me quite a few days to recover. The first couple of days were busy wih a live radio interview and an interview for the journal Sestdiena (Saturday). I am very pleased to have completed the walk. Before I started, I didn’t know if I had the energy or will to compete the journey. However, from the second day, I was confident that I would make the distance from Nida near the Lithuanian/Kaliningrad border to Kolka at Latvia’s north-western tip - a total of about 375kms in 11 days. I averaged 34kms each day. I very much appreciated Janis’ company on days 1 and 2 and Arnis’ on the last day.


To plan the walk, I used the 1:200,000 maps in Latvijas autoceļu atlants (a very comprehensive book of road maps). On the walk, I used the maps ripped out of that book, including the larger scale maps for the towns. I also used 1:50,000 topographical maps for virtually all the walk (about 15 in all). A companion book to the road maps, Latvijas Celvedis, provided information about accommodation options. The books and maps were purchased from Jāņa Sēta in Rīga. I brought most of the equipment I used from Australia, some of which I left here after last year’s walk. I bought 5 ‘easy cook’ meals, a hat and a top at ‘Gandrs’, an outdoor shop at the Alpha Centre. Particularly in the heat, I survived by using the anti-groin-heat-rash ointment, Naturalene’s ‘The Invisible Glove’, made from ‘100% natural plant extracts’.

My accommodation was at the following places:
1st night – ‘Villa Deva’ at Pervalka (guest house)
2nd night – Klaipeda – Rolland (guest house)
3rd night – ‘Jūrmalnieki’ at Nida (guest house)
4th night – Jurmalciems - Juris (private home)
5th night – Liepāja – Velta and Ilgvārs (private home)
6th night – Cīravi – Gunta (student accommodation)
7th night – Freibergi at Ivande private home
8th night – ‘Vella Dzirnavas’ near Zlēkas – Elita (guest house)
9th night – ‘Ozoli’ at Blāzma – Māra (bed and breakfast)
10th night – ‘Krūziņi’ at Dundaga (hotel)
After the walk – Mežaparks (home).

Thank you for my training partners in Melbourne – Mark who ran the second half of the Marysville Marathon with me in November, Kārlis and Aija who walked with me at the 3x3 camp near Adelaide in early January, and the other Leaping Kangeroos – Louise, Jagger and Sally – who completed the 100kms of the Oxfam Trailwalk in April with me in about 26 hours.

The blog was again an integral part of the walk. Juris Benkis again agreed to enter the blogs after I sent him the raw text and photos. He did an amazing job and I would not have had the energy otherwise to keep writing and taking photos. Juris provided great encouragement over the whole period of the trip and I am very grateful to him.

I also received a good deal of encouragement both before I left and through the comments on the blog and the emails I received. This was again a life-line.
The Latvian media took again took an interest in the project this year:
At Dundaga, I was interviewed for the local newspaper ‘Dundadznieks’ by Diāna. Back in Rīga, Radio 101 interviewed me live and Laura interviewed me for ‘Sestdiena’. Laikraksts Latvietis and Austrālijas Latvietis also gave me extensive coverage.

Gunta and Ziedonis have provided great support throughout. Ziedonis, Gunta and Anita arranged all the accommodation. Lija, Jānite and Anita have all provided great encouragement and support. Anita visited at Īvande and we were in daily phone contact.

And finally my thanks to all the people I met on my journey and who offered me hospitality along the way – particularly to Imants and Vaira at Īvande and to Velta and Ilgvars at Liepāja. I have had an amazing opportunity to see a lot of Latvia and to meet many different people. I very much appreciate the experiences I have had and all those who made it possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment